45 Years of Valentino
Summary by: FT Staff
Date Published: August 17, 2007
Click her for more on Valentino!
- 1959 Having completed his fashion studies and an apprenticeship with Jean Desses and Guy Laroche, Valentino starts up his first studio in Rome
- 1960 Begins his collaboration with Giancarlo Giammetti, who manages the commercial development of the House of Valentino
- 1962 His first collection at the international fashion Gotha in the Palazzo Pitti, Florence, is a triumphant success
- 1965 Valentino is recognized as the top name in Italian Haute Couture
- 1967 He is awarded the Neiman Marcus Prize in Dallas (the equivalent of an Oscar in the world of Fashion)
- 1968 Valentino's reputation is secured with the enormous success of his "Collezione Bianca", the first clothes and accessories to have the magic "V" label Designs the wedding dress worn by Jacqueline Kennedy for her marriage to Aristotle Onassis.
- 1969 Begins his Boutique line of clothes and opens the first Valentino shop in Milan
- 1970 Launch of his first Ready-to-Wear collections Opening of Valentino boutiques in Rome and New York
- 1971 Opening of the first menswear shop in Via Condotti
- 1975 First fashion show of his Ready-to-Wear collection in Paris
- 1976 Opens a boutique in Tokyo
- 1978 Launch of the Valentino perfume at a gala evening in Paris, at the Theater des Champs Elysees
- 1982 Publication of the book "Valentino", edited by Franco Maria Ricci 20 September, Valentino presents his Autumn/Winter collection at the Metropolitan Museum in New York
- 1984 Valentino celebrates his twenty-fifth year in the business and receives an official award from the Minister for Industry
- 1985 He is awarded the Grand'Ufficiale dell'Ordine al Merito by the President of Italy
- 1986 Receives the highest decoration possible in Italy, the Cavaliere di Gran Croce, from the President
- 1989 First show of the Haute Couture collection in Paris
- 1990 In February, Valentino and Giancarlo Giammetti found L.I.F.E (initials in Italian for "Fighting, Informing, Building, Teaching"), an association working for the fight against Aids. The Accademia Valentino is also officially opened to the public with an exhibition of painters of the Roman School Exhibition of "The Art of Cartier" at the Accademia Valentino Publication of the book "Valentino: Trent'Anni de Magia", by Leonardo arte.
- 1991 To celebrate his 30th year in the fashion business, an exhibition entitled "Valentino: Thirty Years of Magic" is organized in Valentino's honour by the Mayor of Rome at the Capitole Museum, while the Accademia Valentino presents a retrospective of his designs. Creation of the perfume Vendetta for men and women.
- 1992 Exhibition at the Accademia Valentino entitled: "La seduzione da Boucher a Warhol" The "Valentino: Thirty Years of Magic"' exhibition is invited to go to New York to coincide with the fifth centenary celebrations of the discovery of America. Valentino is invited by the Chinese government to stage a show in Beijing* 1994 In January, Valentino presents his first ever costume designs at the Eisenhower Theatre in the John Fitzgerald Kennedy Center, Washington, for an opera entitled "The Dream of Valentino", based on the life of the movie star Rudolf Valentino
- 1995 Valentino's return to Italy is celebrated on 14 January in Florence with a fashion show at the Stazione Leopolda, over thirty years his first show at the Palazzo Pitti. The Mayor of Florence awards him the "Premio speciale dell'arte nella moda"
- 1996 Valentino is named Cavaliere del Lavoro
- 2004 launch of V perfume which will be followed by V for men
- 2006 Opens a boutique on Newbury Street in Boston
- 2006 President Chirac awards Valentino of the Legion d'Honneur
- 2007 Opens a boutique in Bangkok
- 2007 Opens a boutique in Honolulu on the Waikiki beachwalk (Kalakaua Avenue)
Valentino's Official Web Site